#NOW: Thousands of firefighters gave a closing salute for fallen hero Jared Lloyd, a Spring Valley firefighter who misplaced his life whereas saving residents from a burning assisted dwelling facility. He was 35-years-old and served as a volunteer for greater than 15 years. pic.twitter.com/DTijW1M1az
— Christina Fan (@Christinafantv) April 3, 2021
Lloyd was a volunteer with the Spring Valley Fire Department for practically 16 years. He was recognized for lighting up a room along with his smile.
He was a good friend, a firefighter and, at the beginning, a father.
“He would do anything for his children. He would do anything for anybody,” mentioned Chief Ken Conjura of Columbian Engine Company No. 1.
Lloyd, 35, rushed out and in of the Evergreen Court Home for Adults on March 23, serving to to rescue residents trapped inside.
He was making an attempt to save lots of somebody trapped on the third ground, however by no means made it out.
Eric Cich, who was on Lloyd’s crew, was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.
“The pain in my lungs pales in comparison to the pain in my heart right now,” mentioned Cich, the godfather to Lloyd’s youngest son.
Cich mentioned he would inform his godson, “Your father died a hero. He died saving lives.”
The identical emotions had been echoed by the godfather of Lloyd’s different son, Logan.
“He made me a godfather to his kid to make sure if anything ever happened to him, I was gonna take care of him, which I’m going to do,” mentioned John Conjura of Columbian Fire Engine Company No. 1.
“He would drop everything he had to do to come and make sure he was helping the residents,” Ken Conjura mentioned. “He’s an all around hero.”
Lloyd, a selfless man, made the last word sacrifice.
Officials mentioned the investigation into the reason for the fireplace that additionally killed a resident of the ability is ongoing.
CBS2’s Christina Fan contributed to this report.